May 1st, 2023 to March 31st, 2024
Vertical Gardening – Sustainable Agriculture Courses
Courses to learn how to grow food sustainably in container gardens
The Sustainable Agriculture training course is a multi-week program that will provide participants with the ability to set-up and work on vertical gardens in an indoor container garden. Training will include growing food, creating a food security project and learning how to farm. Participants will gain knowledge needed to grow food sustainably in colder climates.
This program is part of the Green Skills Academy run by Relay Education and is being delivered in partnership with Growcer. The courses are being offered in specific Indigenous communities in 2023. It is not currently open to the general public.
- The 11 week program involves one week of in person training in a vertical garden in your community, and ten weeks of virtual training for five hours per week online.
- Online training: December 4, 2023 – February 22, 2024 (with break over winter holidays)
- Online time commitment: approximately 5 hours per week
- In person: 1 week of training. Dates vary with community
In-person training dates
- Altario School: January 22-26, 2024
- Yellowhead Tribal Council: January 22-26, 2024
- Nipissing First Nation: February 5-9, 2024
- Churchill Northern Studies Centre: February 12-16, 2024
Where the gardening courses are happening:
- Altario School in Altario, Alberta
- Yellowhead Tribal Council in Treaty Six territory, Alberta
- Churchill Northern Studies Centre in Churchill, Manitoba
- Nipissing First Nation, Ontario
Interested in participating? Reach out to Jessica Wilson, Program Coordinator, for more information.